What is Poverty?
Poverty is defined as "anywhere a person lacks resource." In Core Community, we identify eleven resources where a person can be impoverished or rich:
- Social Capital
- Integrity & Trust
- Relationships/Role Models
- Knowledge of Middle Class Rules
- Motivation & Persistence
Ruby Payne, A Framework for Understanding Poverty, Pg. 8
Our weekly program focuses on helping individuals and families build all Eleven Resources.
It is not a financial program. It does look at finances, but is wholistic in its approach
What Does The Program Look Like?
Core Community is a weekly evening program.
We start at 5:30 each week serving a family style meal to our families and volunteers.
At 6:15, our families' children go to childcare where they experience fun activities with caring adult volunteers. Our adult participants join together to share their lives and grow together through various curriculums and programming.
Each group will consist of up to 25 participants who are known as “Core Leaders.” They are asked to:
- Enroll in the Core Leaders Training Class to build financial, emotional and social resources as well as an Economic Stability Plan.
- Partner with trained middle-to high-income community volunteers, called “Core Friends,” who support a Core Leader’s efforts through networking, listening and guidance.
- Attend weekly community meetings with peers, Core Friends and other interested community members for planning, support and networking opportunities, and support each other through discussions around systemic barriers to escaping poverty and the strategies needed to remove them.
At the heart, we are creating a safe place of unconditional love and non-judgement.
In the safety, in the community, all who come to the table are changed forever.
WAYS YOU CAN VOLUNTEER:
- Meals: groups (Church, City Council, Hospital) willing to prepare & serve a meal one or two times a year or once a quarter.
- Childcare: helpers who occasionally or weekly come to play with children as their parents work on their goals and the program.
- Financial support: to pay for the minimal staff who work to make the project happen each week.
- Sponsoring Location: who will adopt us as a part of their mission & host our weekly program.